A utility knife is a versatile kitchen knife with a medium-sized blade, typically between 4 and 7 inches long. It is used for a variety of tasks in the kitchen, such as cutting meats, slicing fruits and vegetables, and trimming poultry. Its size and shape make it suitable for tasks that require more precision than a larger chef's knife or a smaller paring knife. The utility knife is also sometimes referred to as a sandwich knife because it is ideal for slicing bread, cheese, and meats for sandwiches.
A utility knife is a versatile kitchen knife that typically has a blade length of around 4-7 inches. It is smaller than a chef's knife but larger than a paring knife, and it can be used for a variety of tasks such as slicing, dicing, and chopping fruits, vegetables, and meats.
- Trimming meats: A utility knife's size and sharpness make it ideal for trimming fat or silver skin from cuts of meat.
- Slicing sandwiches: A serrated utility knife can be used to slice bread, meat, and cheese for sandwiches.
- Prepping fruits and vegetables: A utility knife is great for slicing and chopping fruits and vegetables like onions, cucumbers, and carrots.
- Cutting cheese: A utility knife can also be used to cut cheese into smaller pieces or slices.
- Carving small poultry: A utility knife's sharp blade makes it ideal for carving small poultry like chicken or game birds.
Overall, a utility knife is a versatile tool that can handle a wide range of tasks in the kitchen, making it a great addition to any cook's collection of knives.